Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Product Review: Smashbox INSTA-MATTE Lipstick Transformer

Hey Guys! So today I am back with a product review of the new lip product by Smashbox. This new "lip transformer" claims to turn any lipstick finish into a matte-finish color. I myself, am not a fan of satin or shiny lip products. I am DEFINITELY a matte girl, so obviously when I heard of this product I needed it in my life.
This product retails for $24 at Ulta, which I feel is pretty average of a high-end brand. The package is very simple and it's a pretty decent sized tube, especially since you literally need like 1/2 the size of a seed to get the job done. The Smashbox website claims "Give your lipstick a matte makeover—instantly! Developed on set to minimize the number of lipsticks our pro artists carry in their kits, this gel transforms any cream lipstick into a velvety matte finish that’s never chalky"

I wanted to try this for a few days with 2 different lipstick colors to see if I really liked this or not & to see if it changed to longevity of the lipstick.
On Monday I wore it with Essense lip liner in Satin Mauve & NYX LaLa which is one of their round case lipstick. This shade is a velvet-textured with a high shine finish. The picture on the left is before the Insta-Matte and the right is after.
For some reason, the flash was washing out the color once the matte was laid on top, so I had to take the flash off and there was no sun that day to use natural light!
On Tuesday I wore it with Avon Glimmersticks lip liner in Pink Bouquet & Covergirl Lipstick in Temptress (this color has been discontinued, they have replaced it with Temptress Rose, which is very similar)

What did I think?!
At first I was a little confused on how I should apply the product. The tip is shaped like a lip gloss tube, but applying directly to your lips from the tube smudges the color and ruins lined lips. I found it best to squeeze the tiniest amount onto my finger and dab it lightly on my lips then touch it up using a lip brush. I did find that it with SOME colors it did fade the color a bit and I had to layer more lipstick then the smashbox back onto of that to achieve the same coverage. But I also felt that it did extend the length of wear with some of my lipsticks, so I was pleasantly surprised by that!

Overall, I was VERY happy with this purchase. It has definitely expanded my kit and the colors/finishes I have available & minimized the # of lip products that I need to carry with me. Keep in mind that this is designed to be used over cream lipsticks only, not over balms or glosses.

All in all, I highly recommend this product!
Head over to my Instagram @therealcaitic to be video swatches of the different finishes!

As always, please leave love/comments/suggestions down below!
XoXo!

Post a Comment